Tuesday, May 8, 2012

THE GIRL’S A BIT SPECIAL- Tessa Gavilsky


Team: -Mallbacken IF
Position:– Central Midfielder


Nickname: never really had a nickname on the field… People call me TJ, or G sometimes
Favorite Team USWNT (United States Women’s National Team)

Strengths: One of my biggest strengths is the ability to will air balls in the middle.  I love to head the ball and challenging for air balls and winning them is one of the best things I bring to the game.  Another strength of mine as I have gotten older is my passing and how I switch fields with the ball at my feet.  I am able to keep the ball when I get it and focus on making a good pass in order for our team to keep possession of the ball or either set up an opportunity for a goal.  Assists have always been my favorite contribution to the game.  

Weaknesses My biggest weakness at times would have to be the mental side of the game.  I think I let my head take over and tend to over think things a lot when I am not comfortable in a situation.  Instead of just playing like I know how and going with the flow of the game when I am nervous sometimes I will over think it and ending up making things way worse then they are.  At times, I have problems with my confidence and I often forget my abilities and what it is I do so well when I am on the field.  I have recently been reading “Mind Gym” and I believe that this can help so much when it comes to the mental aspects of the game.   

Heroes When I think of heroes the first people that come to mind are my family.  My mom, dad, brother, sister, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, every single person in my life has played a vital part in helping me get to where I am today.  Without them I would have nothing.  My mom is my biggest fan and my Dad, Brother, and Sister have always pushed me in every aspect of life and reminded me that anything is possible.  My boyfriend has played a huge role in my life recently and through his experiences has truly showed me that all things are possible and hard work with a positive attitude will always get you where you need to go in life. 

Highlight as a Pro:   My time here is Sweden so far
Lowlight as a Pro:  My first experience playing professional soccer overseas in Finland.  I had a very tough time adjusting and was only there for about a month and a half so it was very difficult to feel part of the team, get into the flow of the game, and play like I know how. 

Most Memorable Metro Moment All of the tournaments I went to with my Metro team were so memorable.  I had some very close friends on the team and one of them (Gayla Foster)  is still one of my best friends now and we talk all of the time.  All of our families got along so well so this made for some great times and hilarious stories.  One of my favorite memories is when some of the dads went out one night and my dad fell down a hill and the next day there was an indention on the ground where he fell.  He still swears this day that Shed, Gaylas dad pushed him down the hill.  I can remember always being so excited to go to practice to see my team and also because we would all challenge each other on the field everyday.  It was cool when our high school teams would play each other because we were all so competitive and focused during the game, but after the games we would leave everything on the field and go right back to being great friends.  I loved being apart of this club and seeing it grow into such a prominent club not only in the Midwest, but also in the Country. 

Best player played with:  A lot of the Saint Louis girls I played with in summer leagues and players when I played with River Cities F.C.  The goalkeeper Megan Burke…I always thought was amazing keeper and a great role-model.  I am just starting my season here in Sweden, but a lot of these girls have some serious talent.   
Best player Played Against: I would have to say the two center-mids at Florida State when my college team played them.  They were very tough, fast, and technical players. Not 100% sure on names?  Becky and Amanda DeCosta?  Ha

Best Advice Received: I have received so much advice in my life from so many different people I don’t think I could pick one specific instance.  Again, my family has always been there to pick me up and remind me what is most important in life.  No matter what comes my way or what challenges I face they have always taught me to keep going.  One of my favorite things my mom always says is to “remember the #1 rule” which is to have fun.  She is such a positive and inspiring woman that no matter what I am doing I always like to have fun so I always remember that. 

Biggest Practical Joker: A lot of the girls on my team at Stetson loved to play jokes all the time.  One time my freshman year a big prank war broke out between the freshman and seniors, but I wasn’t there for this.  One time me and a girl on my team stole our coaches dog because she is so obsessed with this dog.  Let’s just say that wasn’t a very good idea. 

Car My current form of transportation while I am in Sweden is a bike =)  I love this because it is a great form of exercise and I feel less lazy all of the time.  My dad is a car dealer and sold my car when I left for Finland last year so I usually just drive whatever we have at the house because there are usually about 7 or 8 cars there. 

Kicks: I basically like to play any sport.  I am very competitive so I like so try anything new.  I am always challenging my boyfriend at anything possible and get so mad when he beats me.  I love to shop, paint my nails, and do a lot of girly things.  When I was at school I would go to the beach whenever I could.  Now that I am overseas reading has become a big hobby of mine and of course traveling around Europe!

5 Words to Describe you Fun, Dependable, Nice, Caring, Gullible
 
In 5 year’s time I would love to still be playing soccer five years from now.  I think I still have so much to learn from the game and it continues to teach me new things everyday.  I hope to keep moving up to a higher level and see what else soccer has to offer for me.  I am hoping the pro league comes back in the U.S. because it has always been my dream to play there.  I would also love to play in many different countries because I love to explore and try new things.  When I am done with soccer I have a great degree in Integrative health Science from Stetson University and I hope to go to school to become a Physicians Assistant.     

No comments: